« Home | quick hits from Bombay » | The One and Only - Taj Mahal » | Travel By Rickshaw, Anyone? » | Darn Riots! » | Entertainment, India Style » | i ♥ cricket! » | Mumbai or Bombay? Either is fine. » | To the other side of the world.. » | Off to India! »

sights from around Delhi

the magnificent Lotus Temple

Delhi certainly doesn’t possess the pumping energy of Mumbai, but i did find that it offers much more to see for the visitor. My first stop was the Lotus Temple, a impressive icon of the Baha’i faith. I have long admired the Baha’i faith as the most contemporary and progressive religion i have encountered, and was quite curious to see what this temple was all about.

I must say that the Lotus Temple did not disappoint, and it was hands down the second most incredible structure I saw in India (the Taj comes in first, of course). The temple itself is composed of 27 marble petals and is surrounded by 9 sparkling pools - spectacular!

A steady stream of visitors makes their way down the main path towards the temple. Once you reach the main entrance, volunteer workers from various countries (the girl who i spoke to was from Australia) give a brief introduction and ask visitors to be absolutely silent while inside. This is so that those who wish to pray or meditate may do so undisturbed. The interior was sparse, with rows of benches facing a simple altar, but along with the high reaching lotus petal ceiling and flood of natural light, the setting was wonderful.

the modern Delhi subway system

In an effort to try just about every mode of transportation Delhi has to offer (rickshaw, train, taxi, subway, and bicycle taxi) i made my way underground to see the new metro system. Although the system was opened in 2002, i was really impressed by how clean and modern this system is - not something you find common in India.

Delhi's landmark India Gate is a remnant of British rule

After the metro experience, I wanted to walk for a bit but quickly tired of stepping over pools of urine, avoiding mangy dogs, and dodging rickshaws. I saw a bicycle taxi driver eager for my business and hopped on.

view from the seat of a bicycle taxi

He pedaled me down the cramped streets of Old Delhi, where i got a good look at the centuries old marketplace known as Chawri Bazaar. Small storefronts line the street selling everything from pharmaceuticals and plumbing supplies to greeting cards and cell phones. I have no idea why, but i saw no less than half a dozen greeting card shops on this street.

the bustling Chawri Bazaar in Old Delhi

Muslims pass by a blanket vendor

The bicycle driver dropped me off at Jama Masjid, India’s largest mosque. This mosque was erected by the same Mughal emperor who built the Taj Mahal, and the similarities are evident. I made my way inside the complex walls and watched children laughing while throwing bird seed to pigeons in the main square. It was now 4pm, and the call to prayer boomed from the mosque’s loudspeakers.

the impressive Jama Masjid

the wall surrounding the Jama Masjid complex

I then made my way to Delhi's Red Fort. The architecture here is similar in style to the Jama Masjid, but the complex is much, much larger. High walls surround the complex, which holds lovely gardens and open temple-like structures throughout. It takes a good twenty minutes to walk all the way from the front entrance to the back, with large open grassy spaces in between the buildings.

entrance to the Red Fort

typical architecture found in the Red Fort

these guards thought i was crazy for wanting their picture

the Red Fort offers so much to see

damn, is this cool or what?

i love this picture

My last night in Delhi, i was finally able to catch up with Lakshmi's friend Rati. We met up for dinner, after my rickshaw driver tried to con me out of 150 rupees for a 40 rupee trip. He claimed his meter was "broken," but i didn't buy it. I refused to give in, and he finally gave up when Rati arrived and set him straight in Hindi.


Rati and i enjoying some chai tea in her apartment

Rati and i had dinner at a great local restaurant that specializes in parathas, whole-wheat unleavened flatbread that is filled with cooked ground meat or a vegetable mixture. I ordered too much (even the waiter tried to dissuade me) but i wanted to try as much as possible - and it was great! Afterwards, Rati invited me over to her apartment for tea. It was neat to see her place. She told me that she recently hired a cook to prepare her meals. It costs her about $10 a month for the personal cook.. sounds great to me!

Labels: , , ,

The Lotus Temple is beautiful!

That temple is amazing-I can;t beleive I had never heard of it before! There is just too much in this world... Your blog has been great john!
-Thoreau

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm johnny 5
  • From Honolulu, Hawaii
  • My Grandfather led an extraordinary life.. as a teenager he worked in a steel mill, fought the Nazis at age 20, lived in Paris, traveled the world, became a pilot, married an amazing woman and raised a fantastic family. He taught me that life is full of incredible experiences which later become great stories and treasured memories. I've found that sometimes in life you just have to push everything aside and seek out those "once in a lifetime" experiences. "It is not the challenge among us, but the challenge within us." - Unknown
My profile
Powered by Blogger