« Home | Entertainment, India Style » | i ♥ cricket! » | Mumbai or Bombay? Either is fine. » | To the other side of the world.. » | Off to India! »

Darn Riots!

While in Mumbai i wanted to meet up with my buddy Anand’s cousin, Lakshmi. We tried getting together last night so she could show me a night on the town but our plans were, well.. you might say derailed. I received a text message from her (i was assigned a mobile phone for work, don’t get too excited that i am a texter) that said the following:

“I don’t think I will be able to make it out tonight on account of the riots.”

What??!? Well, apparently a politician’s statue was desecrated earlier in the day, sparking off
riots which resulted in three deaths, the torching of several train cars, and “stone throwing.” As an editor of a major newspaper and resident of the affected area, Lakshmi was holed up in her office to avoid the madness but also to get the breaking story to press.

This poor victim of the riots burns

We were able to get together for lunch today, and I got a laugh when Lakshmi told me quite seriously, “Oh you should see the riots when the cricket team isn’t doing well.”

Lakshmi and i after having lunch in the riot-free hotel

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm johnny 5
  • From Honolulu, Hawaii
  • My Grandfather led an extraordinary life.. as a teenager he worked in a steel mill, fought the Nazis at age 20, lived in Paris, traveled the world, became a pilot, married an amazing woman and raised a fantastic family. He taught me that life is full of incredible experiences which later become great stories and treasured memories. I've found that sometimes in life you just have to push everything aside and seek out those "once in a lifetime" experiences. "It is not the challenge among us, but the challenge within us." - Unknown
My profile
Powered by Blogger